Who we are:
The Humane League UK is a charity ending the abuse of animals raised for food by influencing the policies of the world's biggest companies, demanding legislation, and empowering others to take action. We're a mission-driven, energetic team focused on problem-solving and effective teamwork, and have grown significantly over the last few years. Thanks to our targeted approach, our effectiveness in reducing animal suffering and our efficient use of donations, The Humane League has been named Top Charity by the independent evaluator Animal Charity Evaluators for every rating period.
The Humane League is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive environment and being an equal opportunity employer. We are proud to be a Disability Confident Committed Employer, demonstrating our commitment to recruiting, retaining, and supporting disabled people and people with health conditions, based on their skills and talent.
In compliance with laws and in furtherance of our commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, all applicants will receive unbiased consideration for employment without discrimination based on race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, neurodiversity, age, or veteran status.
You can read more about how The Humane League UK is working on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion here
If you have any questions or concerns regarding accessibility, please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to discuss via email or telephone reasonable adjustments that you may require throughout the process.
We are seeking a well-organised, analytical and strategically-minded individual to lead our Operations team in the UK.
This is a permanent, full-time position (37.5 hours per week).
If you would like to learn more about the Head of Operations role, you can watch the recording of our recent webinar here.
Who you are:
Reporting to the Managing Director and sitting within the Senior Leadership Team, the successful candidate will be passionate about The Humane League’s mission of ending the abuse of animals raised for food.
The primary focus of the position is to support the operational side of the organisation designing policies, developing internal communication processes, overseeing staff well-being and implementing technological solutions. Working closely with other Leadership team members you’ll provide strategic thinking and contribute actively to the development of the organisation.
Managing the Financial Officer and Operations Coordinator and collaborating with other Leadership team members to facilitate support for the team and design internal processes for efficiency and success. This is an exciting opportunity for a talented individual to contribute towards creating long-lasting change for animals raised for food.
With the ability to multitask, you’ll need to be well organised, efficient and a good problem-solver. You’ll have the ability to work independently and as a member of a team in a fast-paced environment and be able to prioritise and manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently.
Manages Finance Officer and Operations Coordinator
- Ensures staff receive the training, resources and support to do their jobs effectively
- Manages and leads the Operations Department to achieve agreed objectives and to encourage the professional development of individual team members
- Develops, in collaboration with the team, Operational department goals and is responsible for timely reporting
- Oversees the development and monitoring of the budget for the Operations team
- Sets/clarifies job expectations and provides regular feedback & guidance
- Empowers staff in the development of their strategies and techniques
- Manages Time Off requests and approval of expenses for the Operations Department members
- Leads hiring/promoting/termination of staff
- Sets/Manages departmental call agendas or delegates as appropriate
Leads, manages and develops all strategy for operations within the UK
- Develops an internal operational strategy
- Researches and keeps up to date on developments in GDPR, Human resources and operational strategy
- Collaborates with other organisations to learn new approaches and share/coordinate strategies
- Coordinates monitoring and evaluation of internal communication processes and updates as needed
- Works closely with other departments to ensure effective collaboration
- Working together with the Leadership team in the UK, develops and guides the work of THL UK, identifying key priorities and strategies to further the organisation.
- Oversees and develops effective internal communication processes in close collaboration with other members of the Leadership team.
- Works with all departments to ensure effective strategic alignment, working cohesively with team members intra- and inter-departmentally.
- Presents to the board of trustees, as required, on key operational updates and financial reports.
- Ensuring compliance with all charity and legal regulations.
- Attend conferences, events and protests as required.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Managing Director.
- Attending in-person workshops several times a year.
Thought Leadership: An informed opinion leader on operations and the go-to person for the organisation. With great experience in internal communications, you know how to develop the most efficient processes.
Strategic thinking: Overseeing both the financial aspects of the organisation as well as the hiring and other human resource needs you will be a strategic thinker who can look ahead, predict and plan the needs of the organisation.
Leadership: Leads with integrity and mutual respect and inspires trust and confidence with a wide range of people representing various backgrounds and levels of experience.
Management: Builds a team of high-performing staff members, appropriately structures jobs so that staff members can succeed, develops and motivates staff members, and acts from the perspective of an organisational leader
Decision making: an active listener with the ability to critically think and evaluate. Making key decisions when needed and in collaboration with others.
Problem solver: Identifies issues, effectively structures problems, analyses information to produce insights and generates wise, actionable recommendations. A forward-looking thinker who anticipates needs.
Analytical: You have a careful and systematic approach with a keen eye for detail. Able to review large amounts of data and succinctly present it.
Good to know:
Our employees all work remotely but still enjoy a supportive, collaborative environment. You will have access to a work place pension, 25 days leave plus Public Holidays, flexible working hours, internet reimbursement, our Employee Assistance Programme, and family friendly policies. Professional learning and development is actively encouraged.
At The Humane League, animal welfare is at the forefront of our everyday work and as such, many of our employees are vegan by personal choice. All of our events and workshops offer only plant-based meals.
We are looking to speak to a wide range of candidates with diverse backgrounds - #NonGraduatesWelcome
For our salaries to be fair, transparent, and equitable we want to provide a system that delivers a competitive salary in the market and could eliminate potential biases in compensation (such as the gender pay gap). For more information about the Head of Operations salary structure and The Humane League UK's benchmarking algorithm please click here
All applicants need to be:
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Live and have the right to work in the UK (we are unable to consider applications from those without the right to work in the UK)
- Committed to our mission to end the abuse of animals raised for food
Closing date: 7th November 2021
You will hear from us after the application closing date passes. Once your application has been received and reviewed and we want to take it forward, our thorough interview process will follow this route.
- Skills Test (completed remotely)
- Screening interview (via audio call)
- Second Interview (via video call)
- Final Interview (via video call)
For full details of our recruitment process click here.