Location: Based in Africa, Remote
GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving – and millions of lives – by providing cash grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of it on evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing cash transfers as a benchmark for foreign aid – as the index fund is a benchmark for the financial industry – and in the process accelerating the end of extreme poverty.
GD has raised over $700M since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 1 million people, and launched offices in 10 countries. We’ve also supported large-scale, experimental research that indicates strong recipient impact of our programs. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company
, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) have been featured in the New York Times Magazine
, This American Life
, Foreign Affairs
, and The Economist
We’re looking for exceptional talent to grow our collaborative, diverse team. Joining GiveDirectly provides the opportunity to work alongside individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. We’re actively working toward an equitable and inclusive environment for all team members, and seek candidates who will bring diverse perspectives and experiences to our organization. We recruit from organizations across all industries: our team has hailed from sectors including start-ups, government, consultancies, investment banks, and nonprofits.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and fast-paced. We value ability, adaptability, and willingness to learn. We offer competitive salary and benefits, as well as performance-based bonuses.
About this role
We are looking for an entrepreneurial IT administrator to own central IT for the organization as a whole, across 8 country offices in Africa and our remote-first global team. This role reports directly to the Director of Technology. You’ll have the opportunity to wear many hats, from driving process improvements to getting in the weeds on troubleshooting an access issue. You’ll lead the charge on ensuring that we are maintaining best-in-class security practices. And ultimately, you will get to work with stakeholders across the organization to ensure they have the tools they need to get cash in the hands of people living in poverty.
Reports to: Director of Technology
- Own administration of and configuration of critical cloud-based software tools used across the organization (such as Google Workspace, Slack, Salesforce, etc.)
- Lead development of IT strategy to ensure the GiveDirectly team has the right technology tools (software and hardware) to operate productively and securely, and lead initiatives to implement that strategy
- Evaluate new hardware and software vendors for security
- Maintain and administer our Salesforce permissioning across geographies and roles
- Develop and implement smooth and secure tech onboarding and offboarding for new and departing employees
- Respond to and troubleshoot requests through our ticketing system
- Manage the security of software and hardware tools used across GiveDirectly
- Provide training and support to users across the organization
Core competencies and experiences
We’re looking for candidates with:
- 4+ years of relevant professional experience including IT support and administration
- Expertise administering cloud-based software systems
- Strong knowledge of IT security best practices and secure configuration of cloud-based software tools
- Strong ability to communicate technical concepts and processes to non-technical stakeholders
- Strong initiative and ability to drive process improvements that impact multiple teams
- High attention to detail and to high quality customer service
- Systematic approach to troubleshooting technical problems and finding the root cause
- Alignment with GiveDirectly Values and active demonstration of our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity
- Fluency in English is required
Why work at GiveDirectly?
At GiveDirectly, we work to ensure that you have everything you need to excel in your role and on your team, including:
- A positive and supportive team with opportunities for advancement
- A demonstrated commitment to helping all staff develop and grow
- A competitive salary
- A monthly benefits allowance that covers Health, Dental, and Vision monthly premiums
- Unlimited PTO (that we encourage staff to take!)
- Desk allowance and flexible work location
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**