Applications for this job may be closed.
Use your law degree to save the world
The Good Food Institute (GFI) is on the forefront of the movement to use food technology and markets to solve some of the world’s biggest problems, from climate change and global hunger to antibiotic resistance and the exploitation of billions of animals annually.
How You Will Make a Difference
In this role, you will have the opportunity to provide effective legal, compliance, and risk management advice to GFI’s Executive Director and staff at all levels in accordance with best practices and to support the work of GFI’s program and administrative areas through collaborative and strategic guidance. The General Counsel will:
- Establish standard operating procedures, training, and oversight to maintain legal compliance and handle day-to-day legal matters by providing guidance to staff across the organization.
- Lead all aspects of the contracts process, including drafting, review, and maintenance of a contracts repository.
- Maintain compliance with all corporate governance requirements and human resources and employment regulations for a multistate, remote employer, including but not limited to secretary of state and attorney general annual filings, labor laws, and insurance matters, in collaboration with the Director of Operations and Human Resources.
- Ensure timely and accurate renewals of GFI state charitable registrations in all required jurisdictions.
- Provide guidance on 501(c)(3) and other nonprofit organization tax issues, such as permissible lobbying activity, UBIT, and the impact to GFI’s tax exempt status of proposed strategic and business initiatives.
- Assess GFI’s organizational risk and maintain appropriate insurance policies.
- Conduct research and provide guidance on issues across GFI departments, such as employment, intellectual property, planned giving, compliance with grant requirements, nonprofit tax issues, and privacy and information security matters.
- Serve as secretary to GFI’s Board of Directors and advise the Board on governance, conflicts, and other matters as required.
- Oversee the work of paralegal and future Legal team staff; select and supervise legal interns.
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with outside counsel, including pro bono attorneys
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Who We’re Looking For
The General Counsel must have:
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school.
- Minimum of seven years of previous experience practicing law.
- Previous experience in a general counsel or associate general counsel role at a nonprofit organization strongly preferred.
- Proven extraordinary organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects that require complex scheduling, detailed organization, and compliance with deadlines.
- Ability to work well in a team, demonstrate initiative, identify issues and propose solutions independently, respond well in crisis situations, moderate disputes, and represent GFI professionally and zealously.
- Comfort working remotely and in a rapidly growing and evolving organization.
- Strong support for GFI’s philosophy and mission.
We want the best people and we don’t want biases holding us back. We strongly encourage people of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritize an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team.
The Fine Print
- Terms of employment: Full-time, exempt
- Reports to: Bruce Friedrich, Executive Director
- Location: Remote; United States
- Benefits: Working from home or a co-working space (whichever you prefer), full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) retirement plan, flexible holiday and vacation plans, room for advancement, respectful managers, and supportive colleagues.
- For our U.S.-based positions: We are only able to consider applicants who are United States citizens or who already possess a United States Worker Visa. We cannot sponsor visa applications.
- Salary: $75,000-$85,000
Application Deadline: December 16, 2018
APPLY ONLINE AT https://grnh.se/7029392a2
- Category Other
- Created by Anastasia Orth
- Submitted 30 Oct
- Last updated 30 Oct